Colony battle for point at Buckie

Have your say

A BATTLING performance from Colony Park ensured a point in a 1-1 draw played in difficult windy conditions at Buckie Rovers.

Colony Park playing with a strong wind in the first half had the best of the early exchanges forcing a number of corners. Buckie, however defended well and Colony were not able to create any clear cut chances.

After 21 minutes Colony had forced six corners but no produced any opportunities for the team. In 32 minutes Graffan created an opening but his shot, the first on target for either side was well saved by the Buckie keeper. Buckie gradually came into the game and they were awarded a penalty when Turiff was adjudged to have handled the ball. Thain took the kick for Buckie but he blasted his shot over the bar. McDonald replaced McLeod, was injured.

As the first half came to a close Adam Maitland had a couple attempts at goal, the second of which was saved well by the Buckie keeper and the first half ended goalless.

At the start of the second half Buckie had an early chance but failed to convert. Colony were battling for every ball and McDonald and McGuinness were shown yellow cards in quick succession. In 63 minutes following a loose ball from Colony the ball was passed forward to Sutherland the Buckie striker who netted from close range. Colony pushed forward seeking an equaliser and Maitland had a chance but he was offside. Buckie continued to attack and forced a couple of corners but Colony defended them well. Buckie now matched up with Colony in terms of yellow cards.

In 73 minutes Colony forced a free kick on the edge of the Buckie box when McDonald was fouled. Christie took the kick and despite what appeared to be a scuffed shot he found the back of the Buckie net to make it all square . With the equaliser Colony now pushed forward looking for a winner and were on top in the final fifteen minutes of the match.

In 82 minutes Graffan made a great break and was one on one with the Buckie keeper. Graffan shot but the keeper saved well to keep the score even. As Colony continued to push forward and fight hard for every ball Hart was yellow carded for a late tackle. In 89 minutes McTavish replaced Christie and the game ended with Colony in the ascendency but there were no further clear cut chances to snatch a victory.

In the circumstances this was an excellent point away from home for Colony Park against one of their main rivals for the Pmac Division 2 championship.

Colony Park: Sim, Douglas, Turriff, Hart, Brown, McGuinness, Christie, Donald, Graffan, Maitland(A), McLeod Subs: McTavish McKinnon, Smith, McDonald,

This weekend Colony Park are away from home at Superleague Stonehaven in the Dominos Pizza Regional Cup.