Colony Park Saturday Round-Up

Have your say

COLONY Park Juniors faced Parkvale on a bright day at Colony Park looking to pick up some points but found themselves behind to a soft goal when a corner went unchallenged.

The home side battled their way back into the match and Calvin RODDIE was brought down in the box and picked himself up and confidently beat the keeper from the penalty spot. There was no further scoring although both sides had opportunities they had to settle for a point a piece 1-1.

The U19 Colony Locos were in away action in the Scottish Youth FA Cup against Culter United.

Culter looked the more likely to score early on but the Colony defence was resolute and weathered the storm which built confidence and Colony soon took control of the match. Kieran LAWRENCE turned in after some good wide play by Craig Turriff to open the scoring and after wasting several good opportunities Daniel CRISP finally doubled the lead to put Colony 2-0 up at half time.

As Culter looked to get back in the match committing players forward it stretched the match and with more space Colony soon took control. Goals from Greg WOOD, Alex DUGUID, Grant DAWSON and another from Kieran LAWRENCE helped Colony to a 6-0 victory and a place in the second round of the Scottish Cup.

The U 19 Colts turned in a good performance against one of the favoured A League sides, Cove Rangers. The game was switched to Allan Park, home of the HFL side, and for once the weather in Cove was dry and the wind wasn’t howling.

With a couple of players missing for various reasons, the Colts reshuffled their pack, but were caught out with one of their common undoings in the third minute, when a Cove forward danced past two players in the box and fired past Luke Munro in goals.

As the half wore on though, the Colts created some chances of their own and should have been level when Jake Stewart perhaps had too much time one on one with the keeper and having dummied him and sent him the wrong way allowed him time to recover and block his shot.

With more of the same required in the second half, Colonys task became an uphill one when they were hit by two early goals from Cove but fought back with a fine goal after great play by Andreas Mitchell and Joe Mitchell allowed Calum Mellis a shot which the keeper could only parry. Joe ROBERTSON was first to react and fired the ball into an empty net.

With only 12 men, Colony understandably started to tire, and Cove used the limited width of Allan Park to full advantage adding three more goals to their tally.

The U17s had a bye in the cups so it was league duty as they started brightly against Peterhead at GSC hitting the post after five minutes with the keeper beaten.

However within a minute found themselves a goal down when a shot from outside the box slipped through Tristan Ross’s hands into the net. A couple of good Park chances from corners were squandered and then they conceded a second when another unchallenged shot from 20 yards gave Ross no chance this time.

Colony pulled one back just minutes before half time when a well-worked short corner saw Ross GEDDES hammer a shot into the postage stamp corner, but within a minute the home side handed Peterhead their two goal advantage back when a long ball upfield beat the defence and was finished smartly to leaving the Inverurie side with a mountain to climb in the second half. Colony gave it a decent go, but another long ball caught out the defence again, and although Ross saved the initial shot a Peterhead player was on hand to put away the rebound. To their credit the boys kept pushing, but it just wasn’t happening in the final third and it finished 4-1.

The U16s were on Scottish Cup duty at Davidson Park against B league side ALC Rangers and two goals from Dale RENNIE and one from Ali BLAIR ensured that they went through to the next round winning 3-0.