Colony Saturday round-up

COLONY Park U19s travelled to Stonehaven knowing that a victory could secure them A League football, and a decent display saw them comfortable throughout.

After 20 minutes of pressure they finally took the lead and then ran in another quick four goals to make it 5-0 at half time with the game effectively over. To their credit the Park side did not sit back and continued the second half in the same fashion and even with a missed a penalty they ran out comfortable 8-1 victors.

With A league football all but assured the Park will know harder tests lie ahead in the coming season . Two goals each from ADDISON and CHRISTIE with SMITH, YULE, BATTENSBY and an own goal completed the scoring.

The U17s had last Seasons Scottish Cup Winners Albion BC as visitors to Davidson Park.

Colony took the lead after Scott Abel attacked a free kick and forced the Albion captain to divert the ball past his keeper. Within a minute Albion equalised with an unchallenged header. Albion turned the screw and were soon 3 -1 up. The second half was more of the same although Colony did have a bit more of the ball and substitutes Dean STILL and Luke MUNRO got well deserved goals for their efforts. Albion ran out 9-3 winners and look like they will be the team to catch again this season.

The U17 Colts team faced Formartine Strathburn Park, and the Colts could only muster 11 men which was crucial in the end.

Colony played some fine football in the first half, but were stunned to find themselves two goals down before FLORENCE linked up well to finish from a tight angle. 10 minutes into the second half it was 2-2 when FLORENCE bulleted a header from a corner kick into the net. The comeback was short lived as Colony tired and without fresh legs, two further goals from the visitors tied up the points.

The U17 Lads team faced Cove on the road for in first match of the season.

In the 23rd minute, the Lads failed to clear a corner, and the Cove striker hit the ball from the edge of the area giving Calum no chance. The last two minutes of the half were to see two crucial decisions. Firstly, Cove scored their second on a counterattack, with the Lads claiming offside. In the final minute of the half, Yates hit a 40 yard free kick which clearly beat the keeper but bounced off the back stanchion and returned into play. The Cove defence cleared for a corner. The Lads claimed the goal but in the referee’s view the ball had come off the bar! The Lads conceded early in the second half to go 3-0 down before Cove scored their fourth quickly after. At the end of the match the Cove manager congratulated Daniel on his superb goal that never was.

The U16s began their league campaign at home to Albion and started brightly.

The away side opened the scoring after a low cross was not dealt with and the ball was scrambled home. However, Colony took little time to respond, Nathan May’s free kick came back off the post and fell to new signing Ross CAMPBELL who poked home the equaliser.

Albion regained their one goal advantage at the beginning of the second half, however Colony were not to be outdone and Michael BEVERLEY got on the end of a deep cross to level the score line, the match finishing 2-2, a fair result based on both sides performances.

The U16 Colts had to journey to face last years League winners and Cup finalist Cove and failed to find the net as they went down by four goals to nil.