Warning issued after a house is destroyed in a fire sparked by a mirror

Warning issued after a house is destroyed in a fire sparked by a mirror
Low evening sun hit a mirror in bedroom, eventually setting the curtains on fire (Photo: SWNS)

A warning has been issued after the inside of a house was destroyed in a fire – sparked by a mirror.

Ten firefighters tackled the blaze after reports came in of a large fire burning inside a house.

Emergency responders from Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue shared details of the incident on social media, saying the fire was sparked by sun reflected in a mirror.

Ten firefighters tackled the blaze (Photo: SWNS)
Ten firefighters tackled the blaze (Photo: SWNS)

Now, pictures have been released showing the damage inside the property in Modbury, Devon.

Mirror safety

The fire started in the back bedroom of the home and Gerald Taylor, area manager for the service, said the fire was under control just after 8pm.

Thankfully no one was injured in the fire (Photo: SWNS)
Thankfully, nobody was injured in the fire (Photo: SWNS)

“Initial cause looks like low evening sun hitting mirror in bedroom and reflected light beam setting curtains on fire. Please think about mirror safety,” said Taylor.

During the incident, several fire engines from all over Devon were used, alongside one aerial platform. No one was injured in the fire.