Colony Locos go on goal spree

Chris Hay slips as he opens the scoring for Colony Locos.
Chris Hay slips as he opens the scoring for Colony Locos.

Colony Locos were back to league business with a home match against Aberdeen FHS and started reasonably well enjoying some good possession early on but mainly in the middle third.

Andreas Mitchell hit the side netting and a speculative effort from Woodgreaves were the only highlights in the opening 10 minutes.

The home side settled well and started to create chances with one move that started in the right back position led to a few one-twos between Laird, Burr, Gordon and Simpson resulting in Mitchell playing in Hay, who should have done better from just inside the area dead centre but the opposition keeper blocked and Mitchell hit the top of the bar with the rebound.

Colony didn’t have long to wait, though, and eventually took the lead with HAY finishing well from the corner of the six yard box.

Macdonald had to go off with an injury and that led to changes in the back line. This triggered a point in the game where it became very end to end with neither defence defending with any authority and if it hadn’t been for some good goal-keeping from Cammy Garden and some poor finishing from the visitors, Locos could have conceded on a few occasions.

With half an hour gone the score could easily have been three each on clearcut chances. Just after the half hour mark Rhys SIMPSON, who had recovered from two knocks, made it 2-0 after good play down the right and a cutback into his feet which he dug out and beat the keeper with a well-placed low shot off the far post.

Colony were on top for the remainder of the half but couldn’t add to their tally. Joe McCabe replaced the injured Simpson at halftime with Kyle Gordon going up top and McCabe playing just off the front.

Colony remained compact controlling the first 10-15 minutes and it was 3-0 with a smart finish from just inside the area from McCABE Colony were now well on top but had to be mindful as they were in same the position previous week and let a three-goal lead slip.

Four minutes later GORDON scored to make it 4-0 coming in on the left flank and picking his spot, curving the ball round the keeper into the far corner of the net.

With 25-30 minutes to go FHS scored from a suspiciously offside position. It led to a change with Leslie withdrawn, Woodgreaves dropped in to centre back and Gee came on to the centre midfield.

The fifth goal arrived soon with a delightful through ball from Mitchell which split the away defence for McCABE to run on to a lift a delightful lob over the keeper from the edge of the area making it 5-1.

FHS were now committing more and more men forward but on the whole Colony coped with it with some good composed play at times. West replaced Laird with around fifteen minutes remaining and Colony’s sixth goal came when the opposition keeper misjudged a bouncing ball with GORDON controlling and blasting high into the net from close range.

Douglas then replaced Gordon and could have bagged a couple himself in the last 10 minutes but it finished 6-1 and Colony Locos went back to the top of the table..

Reflecting on the performance, manager Alan Gordon said: “I felt it was a decent performance but there is still work to be done yet. Cammy Garden coming into goal kept us in the match midway through the first half.

“We played some good attacking passing football but we need a better shape at the back and improved communication at times. We have players who can run at the opposition and take players on but that has to be balanced again releasing the ball and playing a good passing game.

“We also have to play that way on grass which is hard to do on heavy pitches. Next week we have Formartine at Altens so another good test for the lads.”