Colony Locos put eight past East End

Philip Woodgreaves opens the scoring for Colony Locos
Philip Woodgreaves opens the scoring for Colony Locos

Colony Locos were back to league duty at home against East End with the lads still very much smarting from their defeat to them away earlier in the season.

The squad required little motivation as all were very eager to set the record straight on a decent surface.

Colony started brightly showing good intent going forward. With only four minutes on the clock Locos went one up through Woodgreaves, a well worked move down the left flank fed Stewart through, cutting in from the left he drilled a left foot shot from the angle 12 yards out hitting the post only for it to fall to WOODGREAVES who calmly side footed home from just inside the area dead centre.

It was only a matter of when they would add to their tally. The Locos pressure soon paid dividends with Hay scoring twice in the space of four minutes. His first and Locos second came again from a well worked passing move but down the right flank this time when Burr crossed for HAY to slot home from eight yards. Confidence was now high and the ball was being passed from side to side, back to middle culminating in Woodgreaves playing a defence splitting pass for HAY to run onto and slot under the advancing keeper.

For the next five minutes East End came into the game but the defence stood firm and coped with all that came at them. Before the interval normal service was resumed with WOODGREAVES getting his second finishing off another fast flowing move for One change at half time with McCabe replacing captain Mitchell who had been carrying a slight knock. It didn’t take long for McCabe to get on the score sheet . Burr being fed down the right beat his man, cut inside and squared the ball for McCABE to side foot skilfully into the corner of the net for number five and killing off the game early in the second period .

To show that he can finish with both feet McCABE made it number six on 50 minutes picking the ball up outside the area, beating his man he drilled a shot with his left foot from just inside the area leaving the keeper stranded. 4-0 at half time.

The hour mark saw goal number seven from a Hay free-kick swung in from the right and STEWART glancing a header beyond the keeper a fitting reward for his all-round display. Ten minutes later WOODGREAVES completed his hat-trick following in to score the rebound when the keeper couldn’t hold a Gee free-kick taking the score to 8-0.

With less than 10mins remaining East End pulled a goal back when the otherwise excellent defence allowed a player to turn and slot home from eight yards. Colony finished strongly creating several chances in the closing minutes but couldn’t add to the scoreline.