Colony Park Saturday Round-up

COLONY Park U17’s welcomed Glentanar as visitors to Davidson Park with both teams looking for a semi-final place in the Noskab Trophy.

The visitors were first to show and and Colony defence had to deal with a couple well delivered corners. Colony began to see more of the ball but more often than not the final pass let them down.

It was from another cleared corner that Colony had their best chance as Darren Smith latched on to the loose ball and ran the length of the pitch, the goalkeeper pulling off a fine save to deny him.

Glentanar then took the lead as the Inverurie back line switched off looking for an offside decision the Tanner striker giving Cammy Garden little chance with a composed finish.

Colony pressed forward looking for the equaliser as Glentanar were looking dangerous on the break, and with forty minutes gone Greg WOOD found space on the edge of the box before firing high into the net to level the game.

Colony took the game to the visitors in the second half and after some sustained pressure a Grant DAWSON strike rebounded off the bar and seemed to go over the line, the decision was taken out of the referees hands as a retreating defender could only knock the bouncing ball over the line.

The third and decisive goal came after Lewis Boyle won the ball in midfield a passing move followed involving five players, with SMITH making no mistake when the ball came to him inside the box. Credit to both teams for putting on an entertaining game after a month without any action. .

Colony Park U16s travelled the short distance to Kemnay for their first match since mid November against local rivals who are undefeated in the league this year.

With injuries depleting the squad their task was made even harder when they were reduced to ten men after twenty minutes losing their keeper to two yellow cards in this second round Presidents Cup match.

Kemnay failed to take advantage of the extra player and with twenty minutes remaining Colony looked to have a chance of victory when Michael BEVERLEY headed them into the lead after good work from Ross Geddes.

Kemnay pressed for an equaliser and were rewarded when an excellent in-swinging corner from Alexander WALKER found the top back corner of the net. In a frantic last five minutes both sides tried to secure the win with both keepers playing their part to force extra time. Kemnay eventually secured the win late in the second period when a goalmouth scramble saw the ball forced over the line with no-one claiming the final touch. Ten man Colony pressed hard in the remaining minutes but Kemnay held out for their place in the third round.

The Under 16 Colts were at home to A league Leaders Deveronvale in the Presidents Cup round two . They found themselves a goal behind after eleven minutes following a speculative shot from outside the area.

A further eleven minutes and Colts found themselves 2-0 down after another well worked move by the Banff side.

With six minute remaining to half-time constant pressure from Vale led to a third goal.

The Colts held out for another half hour but the visitors sealed their win after good work on the left. A fifth goal in stoppage time saw the Colts exit the cup, a disappointing result but it was not a poor performance by any means against this seasons potential A league Champions.