Colony Park weekend round-up

MUCH of the weekends Juvenile fixtures fell foul of the weather, with pitches waterlogged in the main, four matches survived on Saturday, but only one on Sunday.

Colony Colts U19s faced Westdyke away in the Sunnybank Shield and lost out by 4-1. Colony failing to take their chances in the first half and the home side clinical in their finishing.

Colony Park U17s looked a bit rusty after the long lay but played into the wind and rain in the first half against Westdyke. Against the run of play they took the lead when Rhys Simpson bent a 25 yard free kick around the wall, and Ben LESLIE forced the rebound home at the second attempt. Westdyke equalised about 10 minutes later with a good finish.

Colony got their heads down and retook the lead when Nathan May broke up a Westdyke move and sent a terrific pass through the defence for Ross Geddes, who rounded the keeper only to see his attempt from a tight angle slide past the post, but a recovering defender miss-hit the clearance which only went as far as Chris HAY at the edge of the box. Under pressure from a defender he struck a good shot which went beyond the keeper scrambling back into goal.

2-1 became 3-1 right on the stroke of half time when Chris Hay played a short corner to Nathan MAY at the corner of the penalty area, and he curled a beautiful shot into the far top corner of the goal.

Colony put the game to bed when a neat lay-off from Simpson played in Ross CAMPBELL to drive into the box and score. The Westdyke keeper was now busy, somehow managing to turn a powerful shot from Kyle Gordon over the crossbar, and he made another good diving save from Cailean Ritchie as Park finished the game strongly.

Colony Colts U17s looked to get back to their good form of 2013 but visitors Culter Colts had the chance to go top of the league and that incentive drove them on to a 2-0 victory on a day when conditions made it difficult for good football.

Colony Park U16s had an away Presidents Cup match against Cove at a windy and wet Portlethen.

The weather was always going to play a part in this game, which was almost wrapped up in the first five minutes. With only two minutes gone Ally Blair received a thrown in from the right and his measured pass released Mark AITKEN who slotted the ball into the net.

Within three minutes Colony went 2-0 up when a long clearance from Brad WHYTE deceived the Cove keeper and bounced over him and into the empty net.

Colony Park had several chances to add to the scoreline in the remainder of the first half but couldn’t add to their goal tally. The second half was a disappointment for both teams as the wind and rain got worse and it was a relief to hear the final whistle and get shelter. Colony now have a tricky home game against Kintore United in the next

The 3G surface provided the venue for Sunday’s only match with Colony Park U15s facing Culter Boys.

Despite the pitch being playable , the overhead conditions were dreadful with cold driving rain. Colony never quite got to grips with the conditions or the opposition and lost out by 2-0.