Colony U14s make cup semis

COLONY Park U15s had a tricky ,top of the table clash on Sunday with unbeaten Peterhead BC Colts.

Colony took control of the game from the start and were enjoying the bulk of the possession against a strong, physical Peterhead team. Both teams had chances in the first half but neither could break the deadlock before half time.

Colony fell behind ten minutes into the second half when a Peterhead attacker evaded several tackles and scored but within four minutes they got the equaliser when a Ben Duncan threaded pass fell to Tommy LINTON and his shot was only parried into the net by the keeper.

The beakthrough came with 20 minutes remaining when some neat passing allowed Dale Rennie time to loft a chipped pass over the defence for LINTON to react quickest and drive an unstoppable shot into the net.

Colony came close to adding a third on a number of occasions but just couldn’t find a way past the big keeper. A great victory for Colony against strong opposition, with determination, commitment, teamwork and spirit making this a fantastic game to watch. The 2-1 victory sees the Park stretch their lead over Peterhead to 12 Points at the top of League B with seven matches remaining.

Colony Park U14s faced Culter in the SR Wood trophy on a rather heavy pitch at Sheddocklsey.

Culter started the match well and were looking the stronger team over the first 20 minutes of the match but

Robertson on the left wing, beat two Culter defenders, got to the by-line and cut the ball back towards the penalty spot where Ross CRAIGEN struck his first time shot into the bottom left corner to open the scoring. With five minutes remaining in the first half, Colony extended their lead after Cameron Watt with some great work on the left wing, drove into the box beating several players, and found Ross Craigen, who’s shot was initially blocked, but the ball found its way to Finlay WATSON who finished well.

Mid-way through the second half Culter got the next goal after a swift counter attack to make it 1-2 setting up an exciting and nail-biting final 15 minutes.

With a few minutes remaining, Culter played a ball over the Colony defence and their striker was through on goal, but keeper Calum Wilson rushed out and made an excellent tackle to maintain the Colony lead. Colony can now look forward to a semi-final against Dyce.

After a long run of home matches Colony Park U13s had a trip to promotion hopefuls Stonehaven for the second meeting of the season on a bitterly cold and clear Sunday morning.

Within two minutes of kick-off, Adam SMITH knocked in the opening goal. This seemed to wake up the Stonehaven defence, who managed to thwart several efforts from the Colony front line, but it was Aiden MACBAIN who succeeded in delivering Colony’s second goal from a throw-in after sixteen minutes. Stonehaven scored next to level the match at 2-2, but Colony were unwilling to finish the half level, and scored twice in quick succession, the first was put in by Lewis BEATTIE from a free kick from Callum Seymour and then SMITH crashed his second goal in off the crossbar.

Seven minutes into the second half Alix CHEYNE had a great strike from a Smith feed bringing the Colony tally to five. Calum Macdonald then pulled off a great save to deny the Stonehaven striker a second goal and within minutes SMITH completed his hat trick by finishing off a square ball from Beattie.

Play went from end-to end and sub keeper Dylan Faskin was called on to make some great saves to keep the Park ahead. With only ten minutes left to play, Rian WILSON, with assistance from Logan Wylie and Jamie Reid, scored Colony’s seventh goal.

Unwilling to go down without a fight, Stonehaven’s striker led a final attack in the dying seconds of play resulting in a goal tom make the final score 7-3.

The U13 Colts were again at Davidson Park meeting second placed Fraserburgh Link Up YFC hoping to avoid a repeat of the 11-3 scoreline the last time the sides met.

The early signs were not good though as the visitors took a quick two goal lead. Earlier in the season this would have signalled a Colts collapse, but this developing side fought back and were level by half time. Scott BEVERLEY scored both goals, each time running onto a perfect through ball from midfield to face down the keeper.

The Broch almost took the lead before half time but Fraser Johnston cleared off the line.

The second half was hard fought, with the Colts enjoying good possession but unable to capitalise in the final third and they suffered for this when, with ten minutes left, the visitors scored what proved to be the winning goal.