Disappointing Locos run out of steam

John Maitland's long range effort was little consolation for Locos.
John Maitland's long range effort was little consolation for Locos.

For the second home game in four days it was defeat for Inverurie Locos as Buckie Thistle’s diligence consigned them to a ninth league defeat of the season by 2-1.

Unlike Turriff Utd who are challenging for the championship, Buckie are a shadow of the side who have won back to back titles in recent years but a combination of inconsistent form, injuries and lack of cohesion is turning a decent season into one that threatens to fizzle out for the Locos.

Despite talk of Neil Gauld returning to the team, a different injury to the one that has kept him on the sidelines just emphasised the lack of luck Messrs Coull and Buchan are encountering. Another blow was a dead leg injury ruling out fellow striker Martin Bavidge allowing David Ross to come back from his long absence.

The other starting line up changes were Ryan Broadhurst for Jamie Michie, Dean Donaldson for Martin Laing. But it was the visitors showing up first, former Locos favourite Andy Low beating the offside trap to fizz a shot high through Andy Reid’s hands onto the top of the net. The first home chance saw Jordan Leyden’s inswinging corner miss left back Gordon Forsyth at the back post then a shot from Leyden was cleared off the line after a dangerous Andy Hunter cross.

The Jags broke the deadlock in 15 minutes with Low the provider. His free kick on the edge of the box was sent in to the unmarked Kevin FRASER who popped up at the near post to poke the ball into the net. Another avoidable goal if people had been sharper on their toes.

The visitors doubled their advantage on the counter attack twelve minutes later. A long through ball came to Chris ANGUS who had raced through the inside left channel, controlling and instantly firing low past Reid from 15 yards.

It was a hammer blow because it was similar to Wednesday night, a fairly even game but the visitors more clinical. At the break Michie replaced Forsyth, John Maitland going to left back.

The second half was low key, the home side almost back in it when Leyden took on three players and won a corner from which Ross poked the ball narrowly wide.

Sub right back Michie then latched on to a diagonal ball, cracking a shot off the underside of the crossbar. Marc Young then played a neat ball in to Ross who fired wide.

But their pressure finally paid off in injury time when John MAITLAND netted with a speculative long range effort which deceived the stretching Matthew McGinley.

Inverurie Locos: Reid, Maitland, Forsyth (Michie 46), Young, Adams, Broadhurst, Leyden, McLean, Ross, Donaldson (Laing 71), Hunter (Keir 80) Subs: Begg, Crisp, Mathieson.

Buckie Thistle: McGinley, S Wood, Carroll, D Wood, MacKinnon, Copeland, Fraser, Munro (Baxter 46), Angus, Low, Gauld Subs: MacMillan, MacRae, Burr.

Referee: M Stewart