Ellon no match for Dyce in Meadows gloom

Any hope of Ellon United picking up points in their last home game of the season disappeared in the mist at the Meadows on Saturday when Dyce recorded a comfortable 3-0 win.

Tuesday, 29th April 2014, 7:00 am
Ellon's Johnson tries a shot against Dyce at a misty Meadows on Saturday.

United, now safe from the drop, lost an early goal and conceded possession too easily. They were two down at the interval, conceded another just after the restart and proceeded to miss a penalty.

Dyce, who still retain faint hopes of the title, won a corner in the 10th minute and Stewart ran in unchallenged to head home from close range.

The visitors continued to hold the upper hand and with just 20 minutes gone they forced a series of corners which were well dealt with by the home defence.

The pressure wwas eventually relieved when Tony Buckley was able to collect the final cross ball and clear the danger.

The visitors doubled their advantage in the 36th minute following another corner. Mark Lawson looked to have cleared the danger with a strong header out only for the ball to bounce perfectly for Brownhill whose ferocious drive flew into the net from around 30 yards.

Dyce added their third in the 50th minute when their tall central defender Douglas moved forward to score with a glancing header off a free kick.

United made a double change midway through the second half with Ryan Stewart and Mariusz Kwiatkowski replacing Lenny Johnson and Callum Tremaine.

Ellon passed up another great chance to open their account from the spot ony five minutes later but former United keeper Ross Buchanan was down early to make a good save from Stewart’s kick.

The Dyce keeper had not exactly been overworked but had to look lively to hold a Stewart snap shot.

Ellon had to play the final 12 minutes with 10 men having used their only two substitutes, but Dyce were unable to take further advantage with Buckley handling anything on target not dealt with by the reorganised defence.

United have no game on Saturday with their final match at Maud on Tuesday. Kick-off 7.15pm.