Ellon secure comfortable win at windy New Elgin

Ellon United overcame a tricky away fixture at New Elgin with a 4-0 win on Saturday.

Tuesday, 28th October 2014, 6:00 am
Substitute Callum Tremaine netted Ellons fourth goal.

The home side opted to play against the blustery wind and although the Elgin goal area saw more of the action, it looked as if it would remain goalless at half-time.

But United grabbed two goals in as many minutes to give themselves a cushion for the second half. They played with more control into the wind and two further strikes put the finishing touches to their win.

Ellon had the chance to go ahead in under two minutes when a defensive header flew straight into the air with Andy Anderson controlling the ball on the drop and cutting inside the defender only to see his curling shot go wide of the far post.

United forced a couple of quick corners with Anderson meeting Calum Annand’s second cross but his near post flick was blocked and scrambled clear with the ball finally deflected behind for a goal kick.

Elgin won a corner in the 13th minute and United were caught out as Forde won the ball in the air only for his header to bounce to safety.

Seven minutes later Grant Thomson flighted a free kick into the box with the wind carrying the ball just beyond Shaun Robertson.

Lenny Johnson broke for United in the 25th minute and cut the ball back to Robertson whose first time drive flew wide, then four minutes later Johnson broke through the centre only to be denied by a fine save from McKnokiter.

With Ellon searching for the elusive opener, Chris Craib fed Robertson whose shot was deflected for a corner.

United finally made the breakthrough in the 42nd minute.

The visitors appeared fortunate to win a free kick five yards outside the Elgin box and when McKnokiter could only parry Craib’s drive, Anderson was quickest to react to head home.

Two muinutes later Johnson picked up the ball in a central position and weaved his way forward through the middle of the home defence and this time he gave the keeper no chance as he fired low into the far corner for a fine individual goal.

Ellon were finding it easier to control the ball and find space after the break but they were lucky to escape punishment in the 58th minute when a carelessly taken free kick went straight to an Elgin player who found Forde and the big striker made space but placed his shot wide.

The miss proved costly with United adding their third five minutes later when a sweeping move up the left saw Robertson release Craib whose tempting cross was finished off by Johnson.

Ellon made a change in the 70th minute with Callum Tremaine replacing Johnson, who had earlier received treatment.

The visitors made a second change four minutes later with Ally Vannet coming into midfield for Annand.

Elgin had a chance to grab a goal back in the 77th minute with Shanks getting on the end of a cross but his header flashed well wide.

United made their final change with Aiden Greig replacing Chris Allsop whose central defensive role was taken over by Grant Anderson.

United wrapped up the scoring in then 87th minute following a throw in on their left with Tremaine wheeling to send the ball in low at the far post.


Ellon United: Steer, Scully, Robertson, Grant Anderson, Allsop (Greig), Millsom, Annand (Vannet), Thomson, Andy Anderson, Johnson (Tremaine), Craib, Mcleod, Sim.

New Elgin: McKnokiter, Irons, McGetrick, Sim, Porter, Davidson, Ross, Coull, Forde, Turner, Williamson, Thomson, McPhee, Shanks.

United get a break from league duty on Saturday with a visit to Findon to face Parkvale in the first round of the Dominos Pizza North Regional Cup.

The management team will be looking for another positive display if the side are to progress. Parkvale will be in confident mood following their 4-1 win over Cruden bay on Saturday. The kick off is 2pm.