Ellon United suffer embarrassing cup exit

Ellon United suffered a shock first round exit in the Dominos Pizza North Regional Cup with a humiliating 7-1 defeat by Parkvale at Findon on Saturday.

United got off to the worst possible start and failed miserably to deal with the adverse ground and overhead conditions.

Parkvale got stuck in from the start, winning all the battles, getting the ball into dangerous areas at every opportunity and pressurising the Ellon players into losing possession time again.

Ellon found themselves two goals down within six minutes and never recovered.

Parkvale broke through the middle to score their opener in the fourth minute then two minutes later they volleyed home a flick on from a free kick.

Although both goals should strictly speaking have been disallowed for offside, the referee had no assistants and the goals stood.

The ease with which Parkvale had scored their opening goals set the tone for the afternoon with United lacking in all departments.

Keeper Glennie did see some action in saving from Callum Tremaine and from a couple of half chances but,in general, it was the home side who kept winning the ball and getting it forward more effectively.

If United had hoped to get in no worse than two down at the break they blew any chance of regrouping when a complete mix-up at the back gifted Parkvale a three-goal advantage.

United showed no improvement in the early stages of the second half and were again second best in the battles with the home side taking only six minutes to add their fourth.

Both sides were then guilty of passing up some gilt-edged chances which could have made the final scoreline even more farcical.

Ellon made a double change with Dev Kennedy-Colbert and Fraser Tait replacing Scott McLeod and Aiden Greig.

United eventually got themselves on the scoresheet in the 78th minute with Callum Annand finishing off a scramble following a Lenny Johnson corner.

United then made their final change with Neil Erskine replacing Tremaine, but six minutes later they found themselves even further adrift when they were unable to clear at a corner and the ball was eventually driven home.

With Ellon pushing forward in the closing stages in an attempt to salvage some respectability, they left themselves exposed to the counter attack whenever Parkvale won the ball and knocked it forward.

With Ellon unable to score, they were completely caught out twice in the closing three minutes with the hapless Callum Steer left exposed in one-on-one situations to complete the visitors’ miserable afternoon.


Ellon United: Steer, Scully, Craib, McLeod (Kennedy-Colbert), Millsom, Leahy, Jonson, Annand, Andy Anderson, Tremaine (Erskine), Greig (Tait).

Parkvale: Glennie, J Young, Middleton, Cronin, S Young, Watt, Mackie, Reid, Barron, Hazzard, Taylor, Morrice, Nicol, McKeitch, Keder.

Although injuries and unavailability of players forced United into changes in their personnel and formation, this can be no excuse for their complete failure to adapt to the ground conditions and for allowing Parkvale to dominate the game.

United are at home to Dyce in the league on Saturday and hopefully last weekend’s performance will be out of the system and they can get down to the task of picking up points. Kick-off is 2pm.