Extra time sees the Colony Colts make it into cup final

Jake Stewart sends the Glentanar keeper the wrong way for Colony's opener
Jake Stewart sends the Glentanar keeper the wrong way for Colony's opener

Colony U19 Colts faced Glentanar in the Frank Waugh Memorial Trophy Semi-Final on Saturday against the same team that they had beat 10-0 in the league the week before.

Colony started the game well and could and probably should have settled the game in the first 20 minutes as they missed five good chances to score. Not for the first time this season, they were punished for missing their chances, as a weak shot slipped through Aiden Pecks hand. A rare mistake by the home keeper.

From a through ball, Luke Munro raced through on the keeper, and was taken down inside the box. Jake STEWART stepped up and calmly equalised sending the keeper diving to his right as the ball nestled into the left hand corner. Colony had some half chances including a Kyle Wilson header which looked goal bound but was headed off the line keeping the scoreline 1-1 at half-time.

The second half started as the first had ended, with neither team settling on the ball. Peck redeemed himself with a fine save, before a crossed ball from KyleWilson was headed into his own net by a Glentanar forward.

With time running out Colony conceded a late goal, meaning extra-time.

Glentanar were buzzing and looked stronger in the first 15 minutes of extra time. Colony had used all their subs and when Gall had to go off, they faced the second 15 minutes a man down.

This imbalance seemed to spur the home team on, and Calum MELLIS, on his return from injury, scored with a rare headed goal to give the Inverurie side the lead.

Colony were lifted and as Glentanar pushed an extra man forward, this gave the 10 men opportunity to push the ball wide and run at their defence. Andreas Mitchell fed Jake STEWART and his pace and tenacity took him past the defender into the box. His first effort was saved but he rammed home the rebound 4-2 with five minutes to go. With a minute to go the visitors pulled one back setting up a nervy ending, but couldn’t force the game to penalties, and Colony were through to the final.