Injury time winner denies battling Colony

IN a seven goal thriller at Canal Park, Banff, Colony Park Juniors were edged out by the odd goal, scored 10 seconds from the end of injury time by Premier League Deveronside.

Wednesday, 15th August 2012, 3:32 pm

Colony kicked off playing with the wind and towards the beach end and with only a minute on the clock were awarded a free kick 30 yards from goal but Maitland’s shot was only inches over the bar.

Both sides were playing good football in an evenly fought match in the early stages. Turriff brought off a great tackle to deny the home side a goal and McKinnon equal to the cause saved from point blank range to keep the score level.

With 21 minutes gone, Deveronside should have taken the lead when Thompson was through on goal but McKinnon brought off a great save pushing the ball away for a corner. A minute later, Colony broke the deadlock when Donald’s pass down the middle to McDonald, caught King in two minds at the back and when the bounce beat him, TAIT in the home goal could do no more than to help it on it’s way into the top left hand corner.

Before the re-start, Smith who had taken a bad knock early on was replaced by Christie for the visitors.

With 29 minutes gone, Deveronside drew level when SMITH scored from the spot following an infringement by the Colony keeper who was probably lucky to be let off with a caution.

Four minutes later, Colony restored their lead when CHRISTIE scored a beauty with a first time shot which left Tait motionless. Close on half time, McGuinness headed just over the bar following a corner on the left by Strachan.

Deveronside came out for the second half determined to put pressure on the visitors defence but Colony’s defence stood firm and soaked up the pressure with ease.

Colony should have increased their lead after eight minutes when a lovely move down the middle and a through ball from Maitland found Strachan with only the goalie to beat, saw his lob sail agonisingly over the bar.

There was little to choose between the teams in a very evenly fought match but after 62 minutes Colony increased their lead when McDONALD collected the ball midway inside the home side’s half, beating three defenders before unleashing a brilliant shot into the left hand corner. 

Five minutes later the home side reduced the deficit following a free kick on the left hand side which Murdo rose to head at the back post and sending it into the far corner.

With 77 minutes gone, Deveronside scored through PHILIP from a dubiously looking offside position. Five minutes from time a corner on the left was met on the volley by Turriff whose shot whistled just over the bar.

With three minutes injury time being played and a draw appearing to be a satisfactory outcome, a lapse in concentration allowed PHILIP to coast in behind the Colony defence and slot in into the corner.

Ex-Aberdeen player and Colony Assistant Manager Andy Roddie said after the match, “I am disappointed for the players who put so much into the game, but we have to learn from these mistakes and take the positives into the next game.”

Colony Park: McKinnon, Douglas, Turriff, McGuinness, Adam, Maitland R, Smith, Donald, McDonald, Strachan, Hart.

Subs: Christie, Fraser, Roddie, Morrison, Brown.

Deveronside: Tait, Chalmers, King, Thompson, Legge, Murdo, Philip, Aitken, Smith, Flett, Davidson.

Subs: Sopel, Loban, Stewart.

COLONY Park Juniors completed their final Grill Cup Section Four match with a comfortable win over their Division One opponents at Keith on Tuesday night (August 14).

Goals from Dorrat (25 min’) and Hart (41 min’), secured a well deserved two-nil lead at half time. Islavale started the second half with more determination but after 79 minutes, Colony were gifted a third goal when a throw in on the right by Islavale went straight to Dorrat who promptly beat two defenders before despatching the ball. Despite winning two out of their three section matches, the 4-3 defeat by Deveronside on Saturday, proved costly and ensured the Banff side progressed to the quarter final.