Inverurie Academy’s Scottish Cup run goes on

Inverurie Academy captain David Walls turns to celebrate after firing home the third goal
Inverurie Academy captain David Walls turns to celebrate after firing home the third goal

INVERURIE Academy Seniors progressed to the last 16 of the Scottish Schools Cup in an exciting match last Friday afternoon (February 1) against a very good Buckie High side.

Making use of the Garioch Sports Centre new 3G pitch the Academy side keeper Matthew Douglas took a ball in the face during the warm up just minutes before kick off and the referee refused to delay the start so the Inverurie side had to hastily change their starting line up with Luke Munro donning the No 1 jersey.

Once the bleeding had been stemmed after a few minutes the keeper quickly took his place between the posts. With a wind advantage the Moray side took the game to Inverurie and opened the scoring when a strong shot saw Douglas save but only palm the ball into the wingers path who had the easiest of finishes.

Inverurie were soon on level terms when a defensive mistake allowed Lee COOPER to go round the keeper and prod home the equaliser. Inverurie’s second goal would have pleased manager Watkinson, as from a free-kick a passing movement involving most of the team resulted in Alex Duguid finding Callum MELLIS who coolly chipped over the keeper.

At the start of the second half Inverurie sat back and Buckie started to press for an equaliser but the Garioch side weathered that storm with Douglas only having to make one save of any note, but one goalmouth scramble saw the visitors have three shots blocked in the six yard box.

That seemed to sting the home side into action and they had a spell of pressure which the Buckie defence weathered. The third goal relieved some of the tension for the Inverurie side coming from captain David WALLS whose powerful work in the box from a low corner saw him drive a shot in off a defender at the near post. With Buckie now chasing the game Inverurie tried to retain possession looking to hold their lead as the weather worsened with a ten minute blizzard making controlled football very difficult. With just over ten minutes remaining substitute Greg WOOD finished well from inside the box after some great play from Cooper who turned a defender inside out and laid back a square ball leaving the keeper stranded. Inverurie Academy now face Broughty Ferry side Grove Academy at home looking for place in the quarter final.

Inverurie Academy: Luke Munro, Kyle Wilson, Euan Abel, Phil Woodgreaves, Cammy Garden, Callum Mellis, Mikey Watson, David Walls (Captain), Darren Smith, Lee Cooper, Alex Duguid

Subs: Matthew Douglas, Dan Smith, Robert Hepburn, Greg Wood, Ben Rattray