Juniors lose but remain on top

Colony Juniors Macdonald (10) looks likely to score but the Cruden Bay keeper somehow manages to claw the ball off the line on Saturday.
Colony Juniors Macdonald (10) looks likely to score but the Cruden Bay keeper somehow manages to claw the ball off the line on Saturday.

COLONY Park Juniors had several players returning for a home match against Cruden Bay looking to consolidate their lead in the league. Having taken full points from the three previous fixtures and conceded no goals this was the Bay’s final opportunity of the season to exact some revenge.

In the opening quarter the Colony defence seemed to be at sixes and sevens and as a result they found themselves trailing by an early goal. As they pushed forward to get on level terms they again left the back door open and there was a sense that the Bay might score with every counter attack in the early stages.

Eventually the home side settled into a good passing rhythm and had several chances to get themselves back into the game striking the post then seeing the Bay keeper save a Crosbie free-kick and later clawing a Donald effort off the line but they finished the half goalless.

Colony continued to dominate play in the second half with the Bay content to settle on their two goal advantage and always looking dangerous on the counterattack. With no more scoring the Juniors suffered a rare home defeat and despite retaining their position at the top of the league on goal difference rivals Newmachar and Buckie Rovers had good wins to remind them that there is still a big task ahead.

After the disappointment of last weeks Scottish Cup Quarter Final exit the U19s had the short trip to Kintore for a Sunnybank Shield match.

After a goalless first half Colony started on the front foot and ADDISON gave them the lead from the penalty spot drilling it down the middle giving Garrow in the home goal no chance.

Kintore fought their way back into the match and Wood equalized after a good pass from Glennie to make the sides level after 90 minutes. Extra time saw Kintore grab a goal in each half from Crisp then Mackie and although both sides could have scored more Colonys failure to take any of the chances created saw Kintore progress 3-1.

The U17s secured their place into the Raymond Kelly Association Trophy Final at Banchory.

Colony had the wind advantage in the first half and early signs were they were in a hurry to book their place in the Final as Banchory struggled to get out of their own half.

With five minutes on the clock Alex Duguid hit a free kick that the goalkeeper could only parry out and Grant DAWSON made no mistake from the rebound.

Colony were seeing plenty of the ball but could not find a second goal. Banchory made them pay with two goals in a three minute spell firstly direct from a free kick, and then the back line were caught out with a ball over the top.

Credit to Colony as they did not panic and responded well, Joe Burr found space before cutting the ball back for Mikey WATSON to pick his spot, then with half time approaching Kieran LAWRENCE guided home a great header from a Lukas Kennedy cross to put Colony 3 - 2 up at the break.

With the wind advantage now in their favour Banchory clearly fancied their chances but it was Colony who started the better. Two goals in the opening four minutes again from WATSON and LAWRENCE with terrific finishes just inside the box. Both teams continued to play good football and with 15 minutes left Banchory pulled it back to 5 - 3.

Colony saw out the rest of the game but WATSON had the final say with another fine strike to complete his hat-trick and confirm Colony’s place in the Final

The U17 Lads were were away to Glentanar BC and started badly, conceding a goal in the first couple of minutes. They fought back into the game with Callum FORBES scoring an equaliser in the 19th minute.

This scoreline was shortlived, however, with Glentanar having very much the better of the rest of the half, going in at half time 7-1 ahead. The second half was a completely different story with the Lads dominating much of the game. Daniel YATES scored a penalty, Ryan GEDDES got the Lad’s third and Leon FORSYTH their fourth. Glentanar scored two in return giving a final score of 9-4 but with the Lads securing the honours in the second half.

The Und16s faced Peterhead BC at Davidson having lost out by a single goal in the Blue Toon earlier this year and there was a repeat of that score line when the visitors scored a screamer just after half time and went home with all 3 points..

The U16 Colts visited Ellon Meadows and were quickest off the mark when a long throw from Kyle Brown was flicked on by Greg Center and Daniel WATT slotted the ball home for an early goal.

Thirteen minutes in and the score was doubled when good work by Greg Center playing the ball to George Neilson who saw his snap shot deflected to Michael WALLS and he calmly slotted the ball past the keeper to make it 2-0. The third came five minutes later when Matty Timmins crossed for CENTER to chip the keeper and two minutes later WALLS grabbed his brace to make it 4-0 at half time.

Ellon had a goal disallowed for offside and any sense of a comeback was extinguished when CENTER made it five and then ten minutes later won a penalty but Watt failed to convert. Ellon were reduced to ten men and scored almost immediately after but with three minutes remaining centre back Chris HOYLE ventured forward and got on the end of a Watt pass to make the final result 6-1