Locos end season with away win at Fraserburgh

Inverurie Locos completed their injury ravaged season with another impressive win on the road at Fraserburgh 3-1, and they clocked up a memorable milestone for their last day of action.

Wednesday, 22nd April 2015, 2:03 pm
Action from the Locos v Fraserburgh match at the weekend

It was a sun drenched day at the Bellslea and Locos lined up in their yellow strip against a home team without Bryan Hay and Cortney Cooper. The visitors settled best early on, midfielder Scott Begg finding space for himself and trying his luck with a right foot shot which trickled past the left post of Scott Cowe.

With the home players coming to terms with their first piece of competitive action in over three weeks, their opponents were looking more fleet footed and Jordan Leyden may well feel he could have done better with a left foot shot well over when he was not closed down

In 25 minutes it was 1-0 Locos. Begg found the space on the right to work the ball into the danger zone. Cowe failed to cut the ball out and his defenders were slow to react as Martin LAING composed himself and slotted the ball into the corner.

Locos had another half chance when Ryan Broadhurst rose well to meet a Neil McLean free kick on the left but his header was well away from forcing Cowe into a save.

The Broch were still searching for headway and there seemed hope in 35 minutes, Graham Johnston flicking a ball on to Scott Barbour who played the ball invitingly across the box, only to find no takers.

Seven minutes after the restart, the Burry boys were presented with the chance to equalise. Scott Barbour shielded the ball from Mark Souter who eventually made a rash challenge. Referee Craig Sim pointed to the spot but Marc Dickson hurriedly stepped up and inexplicably fired the penalty high over the crossbar

Eight minutes later Laing turned goal provider. Again there was a slow response to a player on the ball in the home box and the former Clach midfielder easily picked out Jordan LEYDEN to head-flick home from close range. It was the 1000th goal for Inverurie Locos in SHFL football since coming into the set up in August 2001

Marc Young had forced Cowe into a great save with a left foot effort moments earlier.

There was again a chance of a goal back when the normally unflappable Broadhurst gave the ball away to sub Scott Davidson but Andy Reid was on hand to ensure the move failed to conclude

The third and clinching goal was calamity number three for the home side. An off balance Russell McBride sent an attempted clearance spinning high in the air. Cowe seemed to be struggling with the sun when it landed and pushed it straight into the path of LEYDEN. The former Cove winger seized the chance by volleying the ball first time into the net.

There was a consolation goal for the Shield finalists with fifteen minutes left. Graham JOHNSTON took a free kick just under 25 yards out left of centre and the diving Reid could only help the ball into the net

But rather than look like getting two more goals back, Mark Cowie’s team were having to try and keep the back door closed. Sub Ryan Keir set up his skipper McLean to run free on the left, the No 8’s attempted shot trundling just wide. Then McLean wide on the right set up Martin Bavidge to sidefoot the ball off the outside of the crossbar after Scott Fowlie gave the ball away

The last chance of the game fell the Broch’s way, set piece specialist Ryan Cowie seeing his curling free kick ushered away from goal by Reid