Locos’ fightback just fails

Locos Stephen Jeffrey scored and was then red-carded at Wick.
Locos Stephen Jeffrey scored and was then red-carded at Wick.

Wick Academy 4

Inverurie Locos 2

Inverurie Locos suffered another blow to their injury-ravaged campaign on Saturday when Ryan Broadhurst’s season was ended by a serious knee injury which saw him having to be stretchered off in the second half.

Wick Academy beat Locos 4-2 although the visitors must take credit for coming back to within a goal after being three down and ended the game with 10 men.

The match had only passed an early-morning pitch inspection and it was the Scorries going in front in the opening minute for the third time in four games. Gary Weir supplied Davie Allan who in turn squared for Richard MacAdie to score.

The lead was extended in 17 minutes with Gary Manson’s free kick was headed home by Steven Anderson.

And before the half-hour it was 3-0 and Manson was again the provider. He found Allan who had the easy task of finding the net off the 35-yard pass, rounding Errol Watson to score.

Stephen Jeffrey reduced the leeway five minutes from the interval heading home a Neil McLean free kick and seven minutes after half-time Colin Charlesworth’s deflected shot went flying into the net.

But Broadhurst’s injury was to prove crucial as three minutes after his departure, Allan found space to complete his brace.

Locos scorer Jeffrey was sent off for apparent violent conduct against Ross Allan with seven minutes to go foiling any hopes of a comeback.

Locos - Watson, Mitchell, Forsyth, Maitland, Jeffrey, Broadhurst, Ross, McLean, Hunter, Bavidge, Laing. Substitutes: Begg, Charlesworth, Rennie, Souter, Mathieson.

This Saturday Locos have the unenviable task of travelling to face back-to-back league champions Brora Rangers at Dudgeon Park.

The Cattachs have had an amazing fortnight, winning through to the Breedon Aggregates Highland League Cup Final by knocking out Formartine United and Cove Rangers on penalties after netting seven goals in 240 minutes, both games going to extra time.

Meanwhile, Locos have confirmed the signing of Connor Rennie on a two-year deal.

Co-manager Scott Buchan said: “We are delighted to welcome Connor Rennie to the club. We had already agreed a deal with Connor for a contract from next season onwards but his early release by Deveronvale allowed us to accelerate that and bring him in for the remainder of this season.

“Connor perhaps lost his way a little bit at Deveronvale and, by his own admission, due to injury and suspension, lacked a bit of fitness.

“However that is easily rectified and at the age of 25 his best years are certainly in front of him and we hope to benefit from that.

“Connor has good SHFL experience at a young age and he increases our options both for defence and midfield and whilst we feel it will be next season onwards where we see the best of him, it’s great to get him in early to let him see what we expect of our players”

Locos have also signed keeper Errol Watson until the end of the season.

He had spells at Lossiemouth, Formartine United and, earlier this season, Inverness Clachnacuddin.