Monymusk earn draw

A BATTLING performance saw Monymusk, of Division 2, earn a replay against League 1 city side Scotstown Rovers in a Fosters Scottish Amateur Cup second round tie at Deer Park on Saturday.

With a place in the national stages of the competition at stake this turned out to be a right ding-dong battle with plenty of chances at both ends. The match was played in a good spirit and proved to be an entertaining game and a great advert for the national competition.

The Monymusk line-up included Keith O’Connor in for Phil Stewart, who was serving a suspension, in central defence, with James Stewart making a rare appearance.

Scotstown took an early lead after just seven minutes when the ball was knocked into the 18-yard box and a player had time to gather and fire past Mikey Fyffe with the Musk defence floundering.

The lead was only to last eight minutes, however, when Musk got back on level terms through a penalty. An Andy Murray cross saw a header from Andrew Moss come back off the post and the same player was pulled down in the box as he attempted to get to the rebound. After the Scotstown defender was shown a yellow card for his actions Murray stepped up and slotted the spot kick home.

In 20 minutes Ross Hay shot just wide of the target and then Scotstown had an appeal for a penalty of their own waved aside by the referee after one of their players went down in the box.

A similar plea by the visitors after what appeared to be a push in

the box was also rejected by the man in black in 28 minutes before man-of-the-match Fyffe produced the first of a string of great stops throughout the game.

Faustino Dsouza was presented with a chance in 30 minutes but hit the side netting with Daniel Clark also going close with 10 minutes of the first half remaining.

Just before half-time Fyffe again saved well with his feet this time to deny a Scotstown player who was clean through on goal.

HT 1-1

Murray set Clark up for a well-hit low drive in 55 minutes but the ball fizzed past the Scotstown keeper’s post. Fyffe then again saved well at his near post before Monymusk made a double substitution with the injured Hay and Moss giving way to Liam Beaton and Gordon Harkness.

The changeover nearly paid dividends right away when a great strike by Beaton produced a good save from the keeper.

Dsouza went close again from a Clark feed before Fyffe blocked another

goal-bound effort.

With 15 minutes remaining Rovers had a great chance to take the lead but a player pulled his shot wide when it looked easier to score. Five minutes later Fyffe pulled off a great one-handed save as the visitors turned the screw.

Scotstown went close again with seven minutes remaining with a shot over the top of the crossbar before the busy Fyffe had to block again.

Harkness might have won the game for Monymusk in the dying minutes when he was through on goal but he was denied by a great tackle and block by a Scotstown defender.

Monymusk - Fyffe, Duthie, Lyon, O’Connor, Nicolson, Hay (Beaton), Dsouza, Murray, Moss (Harkness), Clark and J. Stewart (Moir). Unused substitute - McWilliam.

The replay will be this Saturday (October27) at Hazlehead, Aberdeen.