Monymusk knocked out of cup

Monymusk crashed out of the Colin’s Tyres Dickie Trophy, beaten 4-0 by Northern United, with all four goals coming in the second half of this first-round tie.

Friday, 7th September 2012, 5:00 am

The visitors faced up to the current Division Two North league leaders at Inverdee without the services of last season’s top scorer Andy Cruden again although Phil Stewart was back from injury to bolster the defence.

Both teams struggled early on to deal with the strong wind blowing across the exposed city pitch and it was clear that it was not going to be a day for silky football.

The home side carved out a couple of chances in the opening 20 minutes, first hitting the side netting of Mikey Fyffe’s goal and then heading past from a corner.

There was a let-off for the visitors in 32 minutes when Fyffe was short with a kick out to one of his defenders and a Northern player ran on and crossed the ball in but thankfully for Musk there were no takers for United.

The game came to life in the last seven minutes of the first half when a Liam Barron free kick was missed by the Northern keeper but Jamie Mackie’s shot at goal was cleared off the line. From the resultant corner Daniel Clark then had a shot saved by the keeper.

At the other end Fyffe let a high ball slip from his grasp but again United could not cash in.

With three minutes remaining Fyffe made amends with a good block to keep the score level.

Michael Howden replaced Ryan Sangster at the break in an effort to sharpen the attack but it was the home side who were the first to threaten with a looping effort just wide after 49 minutes. Faustino D’souza then came on for the injured Callum Nicolson.

Northern, who looked now to have stepped up a gear, had another chance in 60 minutes when a through ball sent a player scampering down the right wing but he shot across the face of the goal and wide.

Disaster struck the visitors five minutes later when a poor kick from Fyffe fell to a United player and he ran on and tucked it past the despairing keeper.

It was then 2-0 in 71 minutes when Mackie was dispossessed at the back, appearing to have been fouled in the process although the referee thought differently, and a United player ran on down the left and stuck the ball past the advancing Fyffe.

A Clark free kick flew over the crossbar in 74 minutes and Musk had another chance three minutes later when the referee awarded them a free kick inside the box after a pass-back to the Northern keeper.

Andrew Moss took the kick but his effort was blocked and cleared.

With eight minutes remaining Northern United made it 3-0 and it was another gifted effort, with Liam Barron losing the ball at the back this time.

United rubbed salt into Musk’s wounds with a fourth goal in the dying minutes of the game when a well-hit shot was deflected off the luckless Mackie into the net.

Monymusk: Fyffe, Barron, Nicolson (D’souza), Stewart (Duthie), Mackie, Murray, Moss, Beaton (Moir), Sangster, Clark, Lyon (Aitken).

Monymusk have a free date with no fixture this Saturday.