New season brings mixed results for Colony sides on Sunday

COLONY Park U15s were in at Woodside for their opening match of the season and ran out 3-2 winners against ALC Rangers.

Wednesday, 29th August 2012, 4:43 pm

ALC took the early initiative and a couple of their flair players were controlling the game, and they took the lead in 9 minutes when a cross was knocked in. Colony Park were finding it tough to get into the opposition half but got the break of the ball midway through the first half when Craig MACKIE chased a long back pass and as he turned his back on the keepers clearance kick the ball ricocheted off his backside and flew into the net.

However ALC took the lead a couple of minutes later and went into half-time 2-1 up.

Colony continued to press in the second half and five minutes in got a corner on the right. From the delivery Mackie headed it up in the air, Tommy Linton headed towards goal and Elliott TAYLOR was dipping at the back post to head in the equaliser.

Colony were on the up, and started to take a grip of the game, and 25 minutes from the end a pass from Mackie sent through Linton and he passed across to Greg TAYLOR who controlled the ball and lifted it past the keeper. ALC did not give up and continued to battle to the end but on this occasion Colony Park held on.

Next week Colony return to Davidson Park with a game against Bridge of Don SC.

Colony Park U14s had a free date so will get their league campaign up an running next week against the Paul Lawrie Foundation.

For the Under 13s two sides , Park and Colts faced tough opposition at Davidson in the BATT Cables Trophy which is a series of mini-leagues which will determine whether they will compete in the A, B or C leagues for 2012/13.

The Colts had the tougher task against a very good Deveronvale side who raced into an early lead and were two up within the opening minutes . The young Colony players gave their best but on the day Deveronvale were too strong a side and went on to win 12 nil. Colts keeper Steven Hutcheson prevented a far worse scoreline with some fine saves and the Colts had a couple of chances with Owen Mackintosh and Scott Beverley shooting straight at the keeper. They will have to pick themselves up for next weeks match against the Paul Lawrie Foundation.

The Colony Park team had a sluggish start to their match against Culter United and were unable to keep possession of the ball in the early stages with Culter winning most of the tackles. With chances at both ends Culter used the long ball and speedy forwards to their advantage and were two-nil up halfway through the first half despite a great penalty save from Dylan Faskin who also smothered another shot from the rebound in the process.

Hesitancy in the defence led to a third goal before half time but the Park showed enough that they could mount a comeback. Colony dominated the second period and it was no surprise when the pulled a goal back after several missed opportunities, with Lewis BEATTIE driving into the six yard box and scoring an angled shot under the keeper.

The next goal was always going to be critical and Culter were dangerous on the break and with the clock ticking down added a fourth somewhat against the run of play. An individual effort by Callum SEYMOUR running through the defence and launching a shot that the keeper couldn’t keep out gave some encouragement to Colony but there was insufficient time to claw back the deficit.

Next week the Park face a trip to Westdyke .