Players battle conditions

editorial image

LAST weekend promised some interesting matches for the Colony Park camp, but with overnight snow on Saturday, all of Sundays fixtures were wiped out. However Saturday saw a full schedule with only one defeat.

AFTER two very good victories Colony Juniors, gave a debut to keeper Craig Duguid and made four other enforced changes due to work commitments.

Colony playing with advantage of slope and wind made the breakthrough on 22 minutes when a cross from the right was met by Adam Maitland and although his shot was stopped by their keeper Scott MCINTOSH was on hand to stab the ball home.

Soon after Colony were reduced to ten men as the ref adjudged a challenge by Craib as a last man foul and the centre back was red-carded. Colony held out until half time with keeper Duguid having a fine debut.

The second half was a struggle for the visitors although St Ninians did not appear able to find a way past the Colony keeper but they were given a lifeline as a fairly clear offside decision wasn’t given and Nairn scored with a header.

With time running out and Nairn unable to take advantage of the extra man Colony put on more pressure and should have been awarded a penalty almost on the final whistle but the referee chose to blow for full time rather than the infringement.

League leaders Colony Park U19s met closest rivals Banchory with a five point gap at the top of the table and it was the Inverurie side who started on top taking an early lead in five minutes with a goal from Lee ADDISON.

As the half wore on Banchory worked their way into the match and Colony had keeper Shaun Ramage to thank with some good saves but he found himself facing a penalty right at the end of the first period. From a nothing ball into the box Angus Munro clashed with a Banchory attacker as he cleared the ball for a throw and the referee awarded a penalty to Banchory.

The penalty was well saved by Shaun Ramage but he could only push it back into the penalty takers path who tucked the ball into the net at the second attempt.

In the second period both sides had chances to secure a victory and while Banchory probably had more possession it was Colony who created the better chances. In the end the draw ensured Colony retained the five point gap over their opponents in the race for the title.

Colony Park U17s faced a determined East End side in conditions which were awful both underfoot and with freezing gale force winds.

Having won 7-0 at the start of the season the Park were hoping for a good win on the road but the weather was always going to be a factor in the outcome.

Craig WIGHT opened the scoring and soon after David WALLS made it 2-0, but East End pulled one back before half time when the wind caught a cross and took it into the top corner.

In the Second half Colony continued to spurn cahnces and it was East End who then broke away and from a well hit shot Coutts could only parry the ball straight to the home striker who leveled the score

Almost straight away Colony went up the pitch and Matthew BATTENSBY grabbed what turned out to be the winner.

The U16s met Culter on bitterly cold at Davidson Park and from the start Darren Smith drove into the Culter area, the keeper pulled off a great save and the loose ball found Dean STILL at the far side of the box and he found the top corner with less than one minute gone.

Colony then got a break as STILL added a second with a hint of offside as he pounced on a through ball.

It looked like Colony would have to settle for a two goal lead at the break but STILL got his hat-rick as he flicked a ball over the last defender before lobbing the goalkeeper.

Colony dominated most of the second half and Dean STILL got his fourth of the day as he and the keeper bravely challenged for a high ball at the back post.

Colony should have had a penalty moments later as from a quick break Alex Duguid was clipped about three yards inside the box, the referee blew but decided it was right on the 18 yard line.

The Under 16 Colts met Kemnay in the local derby and a chance to make it two wins out of three. Colony completely dominated the first half and two goals from Billy FLORENCE ,a single for Joe MITCHELL, followed by two from Ryan RAE gave the Colts a 5-0 half time lead.

With the advantage of goals Colony were able to make changes in the team and despite numerous chances created they only added one more goal through Andreas MITCHELL to give a final score of 6-0

The Under 16 Lads faced higher league opposition in Round 2 of the Presidents Cup and lost heavily to a hard working Fraserburgh Link-Up side by 16 goals to nil