Rampant Locos go seven-up against Wick

Locos hitman Neil Gauld grabs his second goal against Wick on Saturday.
Locos hitman Neil Gauld grabs his second goal against Wick on Saturday.

There simply is no let up in Inverurie Locos’ push for second place in the table as they hit seven goals past Wick Academy on Saturday.

The home side took just a minute for their first effort on goal after Neil Gauld hit on a defensive error as he fumbled the ball between two players before feeding in Martin Bavidge but he scooped his shot well over the cross bar from within 10 yards.

The deadlock was broken in three minutes, Jordan Leyden’s pace on the left flank gave a taste of a long afternoon for the Scorries, the winger found Neil GAULD at the back post to flick the ball into the net.

Then Gauld looked to pounce on another loose pass around the edge of the box but his chipped shot was cleared off the line.

Wick were able to carve out some half chances without ever bringing Andy Reid into the game.

Locos responded and doubled their lead, captain Neil McLean took a quick free kick on the right edge of the Wick box opening up their defence. He supplied Leyden down the right wing, the winger’s resulting cross took a substantial deflection which fell for Neil GAULD, who easily tapped home from a few yards out.

The visitors quickly conceded again as they failed to spot the danger as Neil MCLEAN stood over a free kick 40 yards from goal. He struck a low, powerful effort which left Michael Gray scrambling and the goalkeeper could only watch in horror as the ball sneaked past his fingers.

David ROSS finally found himself rewarded after several speculative efforts as he cut down the right flank before moving in towards goal. He curled the ball past Gray from 20 yards, making it a comfortable four goal advantage at the break.

Another name went on the score sheet seven minutes into the second half. Jordan Leyden supplied the corner which floated over a crowded penalty spot. This just allowed Ross AANDERSON the space to time his header perfectly, as he placed the ball across the face of goal and into the far top right corner.

Wick substitute Alan Hughes finally forced a save from Andy Reid as he fired a stinging shot in from the right flank.

The sixth goal came after yet more great work by Leyden on the wing forced gaps in the Wick defence. They were duly exploited by the unmarked Andy HUNTER who finished off the perfect deep cross by flicking the ball in at the back post.

Deep into stoppage time, a clumsy challenge on Greig Mitchell in the box left the referee with no option but to award the penalty. Martin BAVIDGE took on the duties to place the ball into the bottom right corner, just past the stretching finger of Gray.

Locos: Reid, McLean (Forsyth 58), Maitland (Begg 67), Souter, Adams, Anderson, Leyden, Mitchell, Gauld (Hunter 73), Bavidge, Ross.

Subs: Donaldson, Mathieson

Wick: Gray, Sinclair, Manson, Farquhar, Shearer (Webster 81), Cunningham (John Pickles 75), James Pickles, Allan, Macadie, Weir, Geruzel (Hughes 66)

Referee: A Cooper