Share of spoils as United get back into action

Andy Anderson celebrates after putting Ellon United in front against Banchory St Ternan.
Andy Anderson celebrates after putting Ellon United in front against Banchory St Ternan.

The weather relented enough to allow Ellon United back into action on Saturday with a 1-1 draw against Banchory St Ternan at The Meadows.

United understandably looked rusty, particularly in a first half, when Banchory looked the livelier side but the visitors were kept out at vital times by three excellent stops from United keeper Callum Steer and it was Ellon who went ahead after just over half an hour played through a fine individual goal from Andy Anderson.

United actually passed up a great chance to go 2–0 up before Banchory equalised in first half injury time. The play was far more even in the second period but with neither side able to snatch a winner they had to be content with a share of the points.

United were first to show but it was Banchory who soon began to threaten with the lively Mackie and Henderson proving a handful.

The visitors were presented with an early opening with only two minutes gone when the unlucky Jonathon Millsom lost his footing as he went to clear a through ball allowing Mackie to run free but the striker was denied by Callum Steer.

Banchory continued to hold the edge and United survived a real scare in the 28th minute after getting themselves in a tangle in the danger area but the close range shot crashed off the underside of the bar and stayed out.

Ellon took the lead five minutes later when Andy Anderson picked up the ball in the middle of the park and weaved his way through the Banchory defence before slipping the ball beyond keeper McIntosh.

United were forced into a change in the 40th minute with young striker Dev Kennedy–Colbert coming on for the injured Grant Thomson and Andy Anderson moving back into the midfield from his striking role.

Banchory had their slice of good fortune when Callum Tremaine met a cross only to send his header wide. The visitors drew level deep into stoppage time through a fine finish from Mackie to put the teams in level at the interval.

The second period proved more even with Banchory less threatening going forward but for their part United were too guilty of failing to pull the trigger to try and test the visitors and neither keeper was really tested.

United had to make a second change in the 76th minute with Neil Erskine replacing the injured Andy Anderson.

Ellon`s final change saw Aiden Greig come on for Callum Tremaine in the 80th minute but without any further scoring.

Ellon United: Steer, Annand, Mathieson, Thomson (Kennedy-Colbert), Millsom, Tait, Tremaine (Greig), Craib, Johnson, Anderson (Erskine), McLeod.

Banchory St Ternan: McIntosh, Rowett, Barclay, Reid, Robertson, Booth, Davie, Sinclair, Mackie, Whelan, Henderson, Rogie, Flaherty, Mitchell, Smith, Stuart.

United travel north on Saturday for their rescheduled game against Inverness City who will be buoyed by their fine 4–1 cup win over Hermes at the weekend.