Sunday games survive despite wet weather

ON Sunday the U15 Colony Park side were at home to Glentanar, with a lot of rain before kickoff resulting in a heavy pitch.

Colony got off to a bright start and in the sixth minute, after good work down the right flank from Gerrard and Ross, the ball fell to Gordon, whose neat back heel found Harry STUART. The striker took one touch before stroking into the far corner with his left foot to give Colony the lead.

However, Glentanar leveled the score in the twelfth minute after Colony were dispossessed in midfield, allowing the visiting sides forward time and space to slot into the bottom left hand corner of the net.

Colony lost another goal before half time when a through ball wasn’t cleared and despite Douglas’s best efforts in the Colony goal the visitors took the lead. The sides went in at half time with Glentanar still having the upper hand.

The city side extended their lead after a period of sustained pressure lead to the ball falling to a man at the back post, who had the easy job of poking home from four yards. Colony kept working, and pulled a goal back midway through the second half after a goal line scramble lead to Tom WILLIAMS bundling the ball over the line. Glentanar restored their two goal advantage from the penalty spot , and comfortably saw out the game to take the three points back to Aberdeen.

Also on Sunday the U15 Colts went to a wet Peterhead and started poorly at The Dales on a pitch which could only be described as poor at best.

After five minutes, Peterhead took the lead and maintained their dominance throughout the half as The Colts struggled to get into any sort of rhythm. In the 30th minute Adams was adjudged to have fouled a Peterhead player in the penalty area. The penalty was dispatched into the bottom corner to make it 2-0 to Peterhead at the half time, bringing an end to one of the worst halves of football from the Colts all season.

After some stern words, Colony had a much stronger start to the second half. They were getting a lot of joy down the left side but were very wasteful with chances. After seven minutes of the half, and several chances, BOLDA cut in from the left to place the ball past the ‘keeper.

Five minutes later Peterhead scored against the run of play, after some slack defending from a free kick. The Colts continued to dominate the game but a mix of wasteful shooting and good keeping kept The Colts at bay. With 10 minutes to go, Greg Centre crossed from the right for MUNRO to finish from close range.

This inspired The Colts and just a minute later, Bolda laid the ball back WATT who was on hand with a fine strike from 22 yards that flew past the keeper. The fitness and determination of The Colts really showed in the second half and made some amends for the poor first half performance. The 3-3 result has consolidated The Colts in third place in the league but the quality of performance must be improved for the remainder of games this season.

Colony Park Under 14s headed to Ellon needing a win to keep their promotion hopes alive.

Right from the kick off they were playing attacking football and in two minutes took the lead when a Craig MACKIE shot from inside the box hit the bar and bounced in.

A minute later Mackie played in Ryan HARPER and he stroked the ball into the net to make it 2-0.

Colony Park then scored the third on 7 minutes when Harper chipped over to Stuart Hepburn and his chip looked to be heading in but was bundled over the line by MACKIE.

It looked like Colony might walk away with this match, but Ellon fought back and scored twice in a five minute period to get themselves back in the match.

Seven minutes from half time a Michael Donaldson cross was swiped at by Mackie and the misskick fell to Ben DUNCAN who chipped in from the edge of the box.

MACKIE then got his hat-trick a couple of minutes later when Harper passed a high ball to him, he played the ball over the defender and slid it into the corner.

In the second half Colony Park again got off to a good start. After three minutes a through ball into the box reached Greg TAYLOR and he placed a left foot shot past the keeper.

Just two minutes later the ball came out of a stramash in the Ellon box and fell to DONALDSON who curled a shot from the edge of the box into the unguarded net.

The rest of the half was dominated by Colony Park who played some lovely passing football, but they couldn’t get another goal.

Earlier in the week Colony Park U15s had traveled to Oldmeldrum to take on local rivals Formartine. Despite losing Michael Beverley with a dislocated knee cap early on, May, Gerrard, Gordon, Smart and Stuart were all on target in a 5-1 victory.

Colony Park Under 13s took on table toppers Lewis United with Cochrane, Watson and Robertson the scorers in a hard fought 3-3 draw.