U19 Colts come out on top against Culter

With the U19 Colony Locos v Culter United match called off early in the day the Colony Colts also faced Culter opposition with Rovers visiting Davidson Park for the first time this season in the Sunnybank Shield.

The Colts were stunned in the 10th minute when a long ball was collected by the Culter midfielder who easily slotted home to give the visitors the lead against the run of play.

Colony continued to press and were rewarded midway through the half when Jake STEWART blasted home following a melee inside the box.

The game was following the same pattern with Colony pressing but Culter dangerous on the break and it was Culter who took the lead again when some slack marking and poor organisation allowed freedom inside the box which was punished in the worst fashion to give the away team a 2-1 lead at half-time.

The second half started brightly for Colony when they were gifted an equaliser, with the home keeper seemingly having the ball, but then dropping it at Joe ROBERTSON’S feet, and the ever alert in-form striker side footed home into an empty net.

Six minutes later and Colony were in front for the first time when Luke MUNRO showed some pace and determination to break clear and slot past the keeper.

Rather than continuing to play, Colony seemed to sit back and Culter got a lease of life, shocked into action, and forced an equaliser.

Throughout the game, conceding a goal seemed to change the pattern of the match and Colony took the lead midway through the half with a repeat of their third goal with Luke MUNRO once more finishing well.

With 10 minutes to go, Colony looked comfortable and could have extended their lead on a number of occasions, but were then astonished when the referee gave what looked to the home team to be a very soft penalty against Stewart.

There were no appeals from the visitors, but they accepted the gift and equalised once more.

But there was one more twist when Luke MUNRO completed his hat-trick with another fine finish to win the game for the Colts.

With four players unavailable due to the holidays, the U17s were forced to ring the changes for the visit to Huntly.

Huntly started the more eager team with their direct approach causing the three-man Colony defence a lot of problems, and they profited from a couple of mistakes to dash into a two goal lead within 25 minutes.

Park pulled one back as the first half drew to a close when a quick short corner from the alert Ross Geddes allowed Nathan May to swing a terrific cross to the back post which was given the finish it deserved by Euan McDONALD.

A couple of personnel changes were made at the break and the introduction of the lively Cailean RITCHIE made all the difference when he turned the ball home after a sweeping move from deep inside the Colony half.

Park were now dominating and went ahead when a dangerous ball was played into the penalty area by Paul GEE, and the Huntly keeper seemed to be distracted by the on-rushing Colony forwards and could only turn the ball into his own net.

The scoring wasn’t finished however, and after a free kick was conceded on the edge of the Colony penalty area, the ball was driven past the wall and into the net for the equaliser.

Chances came and went at both ends as both sides tried to find a winner, with a close range header header from Sam Forsyth being the closest that the visitors came to taking all three points back to Inverurie, however a draw was a fair result overall.

Colony Park U16s were back on league duty with a tough away fixture to Glentanar.

Colony only had 11 players for this one and with Glentanar at the top of the table knew that this would be a hard encounter.

Colony were the better side for much of the first half, but with a couple of minutes of the half left one of the Glentanar striker got through the defence and slotted past to give them a half time lead.

Into the second half Colony did not let this dent their spirit and they were rewarded when a deft chip from Craig Mackie released Ben DUNCAN and he shot across the keeper to get the equaliser after only four minutes.

As the game continued Colony players were beginning to feel the effects of having no subs, but they kept working to a man and had chances to take the lead.

The game seemed to be heading for a draw when in the final few minutes Colony keeper Robbie Mutch received a blow to the head and needed treatment. From the resulting “uncontested” drop ball the Glentanar player rather than passing back to the keeper put the ball across the 18 yard box where one of his teammates tapped in.

It is a shame that this match was marred by such a blatant piece of unsportsmanlike behaviour but the referee had no option but to allow the goal to stand.