United humbled at home

Ellion United's Andy Anderson
Ellion United's Andy Anderson

Ellon United came down with a bump from the high of their Inter Regional Cup win losing 3-0 at home to FC Stoneywood in the league on Saturday.

The dismal result keeps them firmly in the bottom four, although they do at least have games in hand on the teams below them.

A poor first half saw Stoneywood go ahead in the 10th minute.

It followed a controversal corner with Ellon expecting an offside decision. The clearance from the cross fell to a Stoneywood player with Callum Steer saving the initial shot, only for the ball to break again for the visitors.

United were fortunate that the second strike hit the post but when the ball again broke to their opponents the home side’s luck deserted them when the ball was deflected into his own net by the unfortunate Shaun Robertson.

The closest Ellon came to opening their account in the first period came seven minutes later when Paul Leahy`s shot on the turn was deflected just wide for a corner.

United came close to an equaliser in the opening minute of the second half when the Stoneywood defence misjudged the bounce of a through ball with Andy Anderson almost cashing in, but the striker was forced too wide and his attempt to find the far corner rolled agonisingly beyond the far post.

The match then probably hinged on two decisions.

In the 50th minute Leahy collected the ball in the box and neatly turned his marker only to appear to be blatantly pulled back on the point of shooting with the goal at his mercy. This could have resulted in a penalty to the home side and the guilty defender being red carded.

Fortunately for the visitors, United’s appeals were ignored.

Ten minutes later United keeper Steer came to catch a through ball on the edge of his box only for his momentum to carry him outside the area with a resulting red card. With no back up keeper Lenny Johnson took over.

With United in need of a result they made their first change in the 65th minute to add more fire power with Callum Tremaine coming on for defender Matty Bremner. Then five minutes later Dev Kennedy–Colbert replaced Paul Leahy up front.

The numbers were reduced to 10 each in the 75th minute when Stoneywood defender Wood saw red for a second caution.

Five minutes later United were forced into another change when Chris Craib had to retire with former Newmachar United player Kieran Morrison replacing the midfielder after coming along to help out on the day.

With Ellon having to try and force the play they were caught out twice on the break in the closing stages.

With seven minutes remaining Stoneywood moved swiftly to the other end and squared for McKenzie to put them two up, then in the last minute of normal time the visitors broke again and this time substitute Sam Anderson was on hand to apply the finishing touch.

Ellon United: Steer, Bremner (Tremaine), Mathieson, Craib (Morrison), Millsom, Robertson, Johnson, Thomson, Leahy (Kennedy–Colbert), Anderson, Greig, Erskine, Watson.

FC Stoneywood: S Goodbrand, Smith, Wood, N Anderson, Bain, Harkins, Duff, R Goodbrand, Campbell, Taylor, McKenzie, S Anderson, Metelski, Simpson, Wilson.

United have another break from league action on Saturday when Inverness City make a return visit to the Meadows in the first round of The McBookie.com McLeman Cup. City will be on a high after their fine league win at Culter last weekend.

The tie kicks off at 2pm and will be played to a finish, going straight to penalties if all square at the end of normal time.

Meanwhile, the winning numbers in United`s weekly Lucky Six Draw were 2, 4, 6, 10, 11 and 13 and with no one picking the full set the jackpot for next week`s draw will be £1350 with the selection 6 from 16. The consolation prize winner was A Anderson.