Welcome return for football

A header from Colony Under 17 David Walls goes narrowly past the Westdyke goal with the keeper at full stretch. '(Picture pauldouglaspictures.com)
A header from Colony Under 17 David Walls goes narrowly past the Westdyke goal with the keeper at full stretch. '(Picture pauldouglaspictures.com)

THE weekend saw a welcome return for football with some Colony Park teams playing their first matches since November and all bar one of the youngsters matches going ahead.

First up, Colony Park Juniors, fresh from their five-nil victory in Fochabers and with four new signings including Locos loanee Adam Maitland, brother of skipper Bobby, the Inverurie lads headed to a soggy Elgin to take on Bishopmill United ,hoping to maintain their 2012 100 per cent record.

With first half goals by on–loan Locos player Scott Mcintosh following early strikes from Douglas and Graffin the juniors were cruising at 3-0 when they gifted United a lifeline in a match that should have been sewn up before half time. The second half performance stalled and the Elgin side pulled another goal back albeit against the run of play, however Adam Maitland showed his class with a surging run and shot which meant the new look Juniors closed the gap on their rivals with a 4-2 victory.

They now face three matches on the road starting with a trip to Nairn this Saturday.

League leaders Colony Park U19s faced Ellon Meadows in their first game since early December.

Colony started the game encamped in the Ellon half. However as often happens in these situations a breakaway and simple short pass found an Ellon attacker on his own, in the middle of the penalty area and he sent the ball past the helpless Ryan Gordon totally against the run of play.

Just before half time when Shaun REID poked the ball home to level the match. In the first real attack of the second half Stalker played a defence splitting pass and Lee ADDISON lifted the ball past the stranded Ellon keeper to give the Inverurie side the lead they deserved.

Colony then undid all their good work as they switched off and allowed Ellon back into the game with a soft equaliser. With Colony pressing and pushing for a winner it was Ellon who broke out of defence and found Colony men short at the back and they sneaked a winner against the run of play to send the Park home unhappy with a 3-2 defeat in a match where they had ample chances to win by a margin.

Colony Park U17s faced Westdyke for the first time this season keen to maintain their unbeaten league record and an opportunity to stretch their lead at the top. However, the Park came up against a big strong Westdyke outfit who had the best of the first half. After some good saves by Coutts and a goal line clearance the visitors took the lead with a looping header from a corner kick. The second half fared little better as Colony went two down early, but then came back to 2-2 despite being down to 10 men. Batttensby converted a penalty that he won himself and Crisp swept home home a corner from close range. But the 100 per cent record at home was lost in the last five minutes when Westdyke broke quickly and finished well. A poor performance and a lack of discipline letting the home side down with Westdyke claiming a 3-2 victory in a sometimes fractious contest.

Colony Park U16s travelled to Portlethen for their first action since the beginning of December.

Lewis United were the opponents and from the start the game was open and flowing from end to end. The first half Lewis looked like the hungrier team but it was Colony who went in at half-time 2-1 to the good, United’s goal sandwiched between a Grant Dawson header and a Michael Watson strike.Goals were exchanged with Colony never going behind but increasing the margin when they were awarded a penalty after the keeper brought down Alex Duguid. The penalty was put away to give Colony a 5 - 3 lead with around 10 minutes left.

It looked like the game would end that way until Lewis scored a fourth to set up a nervy end. Once again Colony responded and finished the game with a sixth goal in the closing minutes. Second half scorers were Darren Smith, Alex Duguid and Dean Still (2). Manager Wood was delighted saying it was a great three points to get after such a long lay-off .

The Under 16 Colts met Summerhill at Colony Park in damp conditions. After a largely uneventful and goalless first half, the Colts took the lead in the 60th minute when John Gall was fouled in the box and Ryan Rae slotted home the penalty. The lead was short lived and an own goal soon had Summerhill level. Ryan Rae then hit the post before some hesitance from a corner allowed a second goal for the visitors. Towards the end Summerhill made it safe with a third goal.