What a fightback!

Inverurie Locos players celebrate their amazing fightback from two goals down to league champions Forres Mechanics.
Inverurie Locos players celebrate their amazing fightback from two goals down to league champions Forres Mechanics.

INVERURIE Locos fought back from two goals down to take all three points from their trip to the current Highland League champions Forres Mechanics, inflicting a third home defeat on the Moray outfit. The 3-2 win puts Locos in fourth place in the table.

The early stages of the game saw both teams go close to scoring as they tried to gain the upper hand.

Forres were gifted the chance to take the lead just before the half hour mark when Scott Moore was fouled just inside the area Simon Allan made no mistake with the resulting spot kick and smashed the ball emphatically into the bottom left hand corner of the net.

Locos had created very little in the first half but they had an opening four minutes before half time. Midfielder Jamie Michie passed to right-back Kieran Adams, who ran at the Forres defence.

He then played a clever ball forward to Neil Gauld, who smashed the ball across goal on the right hand side from a few yards Nicky Gordon was inches away from connecting with the ball and bringing his side level.

Forres doubled their lead six minutes into the second half. Defender Graeme Grant played a great lofted ball from inside his half on the right hand side in the direction of Ryan Green. Just as the crowd thought that the chance of a break was gone, the striker sent a delightful lob from thirty yards over the head of Andy Reid, who was yards off his line.

Eight minutes later Inverurie pulled a goal back.

Kieran Adams picked up the ball level with the eighteen yard line on the right hand side, and he played the ball forward to John Maitland who sent a perfect lofted cross into the box.

It allowed the unmarked Clark Bain to head home from a few yards to bring his team within one goal of the home side.

As soon as the teams kicked off again the visitors started to pile on lots of pressure, and Forres just seemed happy to try and protect their lead as they defended in a very deep position.

This tactic did not seem to pay off as Locos had more chances before grabbing a much-deserved equaliser midway through the half Kieran Adams played a lofted ball from halfway on the right-hand side down the line to Neil Gauld, he expertly controlled the ball and struck it across the keeper into the bottom left hand corner.

The home side now needed to push for the win, but they were again undone ten minutes later when substitute John Maitland played the ball in-field to Clark Bain, who picked up the ball on the edge of the box.

He jinxed his way past two defenders and then shot at goal. His effort could only be parried by Forres keeper Stuart Knight and Neil Gauld was on hand to tap the ball home from a few yards, to complete his brace.

Locos co boss Scott Buchan said later: “It’s a fantastic result, to come back from a position of being up against a team two up and up for it. There were superb rewards for getting back into the game and we earned them.

“We went into the game with a strong bench but mostly players all coming back from injury and work commitments. We decided to give young Mark Souter his chance in centre midfield alongside Spider Stewart.

“He saw what it was all about, an 18 year old playing against the League Champions, it will do his confidence the world of good.

“I did feel there were nerves in the Forres team when we got that goal back.

“They are the current League champions and last season so powerful at home. Not so good on their own patch this season for whatever reason. At 2-0 they were confident but I felt it was a poor game in the first half.

“At half time Kenny Coull and myself just told them they just had to go out and play to strengths, they got the ball down and played.”

Forres: Knight, G Fraser, S Fraser(Main 85), Grant, Sharp, Bremner, Allan(M Fraser 85), Duguid, Green, Scott, Moore(MacPherson 65)

Inverurie Locos: Reid, Adams, Young(McLean 46), Bain, Park, Broadhurst, Michie, Stewart, Gauld, Souter, Gordon(Maitland 63)

Referee: M Pirie

Attendance: 250