Woeful Ellon hit for six as Dyce run riot

A rare chance for Ellon United's Chris Craib in their 6-1 thrashing by Dyce.
A rare chance for Ellon United's Chris Craib in their 6-1 thrashing by Dyce.

For the second week running Ellon United leaked goals galore, this time losing 6–1 in their home league game against Dyce on Saturday.

The result was all the more disappointing in that Dyce played the last quarter with only ten men and still managed to score three more goals.

Wholesale call-offs due to injuries and work meant that United were forced to field a completely new defence and midfield with too many players out of position and they also had to make changes up front.

With regular keeper Callum Steer working and normal standby Tony Buckley unavailable, United were fortunate that Ellon AFC`s Greig Cumming was onshore and able to help out on the day and the tall keeper can in no way be blamed for the goal barrage.

To add to their problems, injuries forced the home side to make a further two changes in the first half.

Cumming had to deal with an awkward bouncing shot as Dyce tried their luck early on.

With thirteen minutes gone Dyce were caught offside. The referee allowed advantage with United breaking forward but Andy Anderson`s final shot lacked the power to trouble keeper Buchanan.

Two minutes later Dyce had the chance to take the lead from a corner but headed over then Murray found himself in a good position only to blast the ball over.

Callum Tremaine replaced the injured Andy Anderson in the 26th minute.

The visitors opened their account in the 37th minute. A United clearance fell straight to a Dyce defender and was knocked straight upfield to Steve Bartlett who brushed aside a feeble challenge to create the angle to shoot home.

United made another change just before half-time with Scott McLeod coming on for the injured Neil Erskine.

The home side gifted Dyce their send goal in the 44th minute when a sloppy blind pass inside was easily intercepted and Biskup set up Jordan Morrice who made his former team pay the price with a clinical finish.

The second half was only three minutes old when United were unable to deal with an awkward bouncing ball in their box with Steve Bartlett presented with the chance to score again with a simple header.

Ellon tried to add some more forward drive to their midfield with Jack Sim taking over from defender Grant Anderson.

They were presented with the chance to gain some control when Dyce were reduced to ten men following a foolish second caution but there was no significant change with the visitors continuing to look the more likely.

Morrice broke out wide with Mark Bartlett rushing in to convert the dangerous low cross. Lazy defending from United resulted in a free kick to Dyce just outside the Ellon box with Steve Bartlett driving the ball home to complete his hat-trick. Morrison made it six with almost a complete replica of goal number four with Morrice again the architect. United eventually managed to put Dyce under some pressure after it was far too late with Scott McLeod scoring in stoppage time.


Ellon United: Cumming, Vannet, Robertson, Johnson, Allsop, Scully, Grant Anderson (Sim), Tait, Andy Anderson (Tremaine), Erskine (McLeod), Kennedy-Colbert, Greig.

Dyce: Buchanan, Moorhouse, Reid, Yeats, Hutchinson, McCarthy, Morrice, M Bartlett, S Bartlett, Biskup, Murray, Stewart, Dickson, Morrison, McKenzie.

United face a formidable task next Saturday when they visit a Culter side who are now stringing results together after a shaky start.

Ellon will need to have a full squad available to prevent a repeat of all the changes forced recently.