Karters battle it out in fifth round of Open Challenge

editorial image
Share this article

Dry conditions welcomed the karters for the fifth and final round of the 2012 Boyndie Drome Open Challenge.

A beautiful sunny morning changed to heavy rain giving damp and slippy conditions all day.

In the Honda Cadets a group of three broke away from the pack were Craig Mann, Robbie Souter and Aidan Welch.

Souter took the lead on the second tour and went onto take the victory.

Mann and Welch were bumper to bumper throughout the race but the order did not alter. Jonathan Edwards was out on his own to take fourth place.

Max Stancliffe and Ben Gordon battled out fifth with the places swapping several occasions but it was Gordon who came out ahead. Stancliffe was sixth ahead of Lewis Harper, Adam Kinmond and Ben LeHurray.

Connor Wilson got the best start in the Junior Max, but on lap two Jack Gordon took the lead and immediately opened up a gap to take the chequered flag.

The close racing was for second between Wilson, Brendan Walker, Lewis Rae, Liam Souter, Ross Shearer and Shaun Davidson (Mini Max). Wilson was headed for the position by Walker on lap three but fought back to take second place at the chequered flag.

Souter moved into third on lap five followed by Rae a lap later. This pair remained in the same order until the end of the race.

Next up was on the road was Shaun Davidson in a Mini Max configuration. Walker finished fifth ahead of Shearer. Seventh home was Emma Manson ahead of Samuel Ashton.

In the Senior Max, Gary Clark must like the damp conditions by winning all three heats and took the final victory to make the perfect racing day. Some of the field had gambled on conditions drying by fitting slick tyres but conditions did not allow the tyres to kick in.

Liam Stephen took second ahead of Mal Forsyth after Yvonne Russell had pitted with a broken rear bumper. Ross McKay came home fourth ahead of Chris Fraser and Alan Aitken.

Prokarts provided the closest race of the day with any of the top five could have won.

With the Prokarts all running on slick tyres in the damp but drying conditions kart control was at a premium.

Top five position changed on numerous times far to often to report. Adrian Brodie had led for most of the final until it reached the business end of the race.

Mark Wyness got inside of Darren Brodie at gate corner on the last lap and held onto take the victory.

Darren Brodie on the last lap went from fifth to second at the chequered flag.

ack Gordon was third across the line Adrian Brodie fourth and Stuart Wyness fifth. Lewis Coutts was sixth throughout the final and took the position. Martin Duncan and Kyle Addlesteinson swapped positions on the last lap with the latter taking seventh.

In the ICC (Gearbox), Bobby Davidson from pole position to the early lead from Neil Anderson and John Robertson.

Anderson surged ahead on the Boyndie Straight on lap four and was not headed to take a comfortable win. Davidson finished second and Robertson third. Emma Tomlinson presented the trophies in the clubhouse after the meeting. The next meeting at Grampian Kart Club will be on Sunday, October. 14

For more information visit the GKC website – www.grampiankartclub.com

Results as follows:

Cadets - 1 Robbie Souter (Dyce), 2 Craig Mann (Danestone), 3 Aidan Welch (Banchory).

Mini Max - 1 Shaun Davidson (Longside).

Junior Max - 1 Jack Gordon (Whitecairns), 2 Connor Wilson (Huntly), 3 Liam Souter (Banff).

Senior Max - 1 Gary Clark (Banff), 2 Liam Stephen (Peterhead), 3 Mal Forsyth (Ellon).

ICC (Gearbox) - 1 Neil Anderson (Insch), 2 Bobby Davidson (Longside), 3 John Robertson (Rothiemay).

Prokarts - 1 Mark Wyness (Inverurie), 2 Darren Brodie (Aberchirder), 3 Jack Gordon (Whitecairns) .