Locos see off Buckie after extra time in season opener

All’s well that ends well for Inverurie Locos as they clocked up their first win of the season by wearing down Buckie Thistle after extra time to reach Round 2 of the Evening Express Aberdeenshire Cup.

By The Newsroom
Thursday, 6th August 2015, 7:00 am
Joe McCabe scores his second and Locos fourth to round off Locos win against Buckie Thistle
Joe McCabe scores his second and Locos fourth to round off Locos win against Buckie Thistle

Martin Bavidge made his first appearance of the season replacing the injured David Ross while Marc Young was restored for ex Motherwell and Ross County midfielder Iain Vigurs who had made a surprise appearance at Nairn.

Buckie were smarting from losing 5-2 to Cove at Harlaw Park four days earlier but made a great start by scoring inside two minutes. Goalkeeper Scott Mathieson hesitated and took an extra touch on a passback allowing Chris ANGUS to round him and roll into the net.

Locos could have been two down seven minutes later but Mathieson clutched well from Kevin Fraser.

There then followed good Locos pressure, Bavidge in on a Neil McLean reverse pass but not firing hard enough at Ross Fisher.

Buckie had an Angus headed goal disallowed for offside but again it was Locos who went close.

Jordan Leyden with a free, partially cleared shot and Maitland’s shot blocked at the edge of the box.

The second half was quieter, a Chsrlesworth cross tipped onto the bar by Fisher, Maitland heading a McLean corner goalward but it was cleared from the line.

In 78 minutes Martin LAING, on for Marc Young brought the scores level, this time the header from the corner going in with the aid of the post. McLean almost made it 2-1 but was just off target and at the other end Ryan Broadhurst headed off the line.

The game went to extra time,Gordon FORSYTH meeting a Jordan Leyden free kick to make it 2-1 and in the second period, Super Sub Joe McCABE turned it into “Roy of the Rovers” stuff, netting his first Locos goal then another. His first a shot pushed up in the air by Fisher and spinning over the line.

Then the fourth to tie it up, a ball released by Leyden and the youngster pummelling the ball through Fisher.

Inverurie Locos: Mathieson, Mitchell, Maitland, Begg, Forsyth, Broadhurst, Charlesworth, McLean, Leyden, Bavidge, Young

Subs: Souter, Laing, McCabe, Pugh

Buckie Thistle: Fisher, Wood, Carrol, Hegarty, McRae, Cheyne, Copeland, Napier, Angus, Fraser, Taylor

Subs: Scott, Stewart, Ross

Referee: M Northcroft