Sunshine cup final for karting champs

Honda Cadets - 34 Abbie Munro, 74 Matthew Collings, 51 Joshua Nekrews
Honda Cadets - 34 Abbie Munro, 74 Matthew Collings, 51 Joshua Nekrews

The second round of GKC Championships took place at the Banff circuit on Sunday, June 8.

After heavy overnight rain, the morning dawned with a clear blue sky and warm conditions. It was the second and final round of the Gold Cup.

Feature trophies were the Kenny McKay Shield (junior driver scoring least points) and the JRD Cup (senior direct drive driver scoring least points).

In the Honda Cadets, Abbie Munro and Matthew Collings got away from the pack with a ten-metre lead over Joshua Nekrews.

After a few laps Nekrews closed down the leading pair.

This order was maintained until lap twelve when Collings got to the inside Munro at Seafield complex and Nekrews followed through.

However Munro quickly recovered by taking both places back at pit corner on successive laps.

As the chequered flag waved the order was Munro, Collings and Nekrews.

As the leaders battled, Cameron Ross was closed the gap to under a second to take fourth position.

The next trio up were Aidan Welch, Ben MacLeod and Craig Mann who had numerous position changes during a race long battle.

Eighth was Jonathon Edwards ahead of Logan Blake and Ben Burnett.

In the Junior Max, Jack Gordon was the dominant junior driver on the day by winning all three heats and the final by four seconds.

Elliot McIntosh and Shaun Davidson led the chase.

McIntosh held second until lap twelve when Davidson slipped past and maintained the position until the chequered flag.

A group of three, Abigail Ross, Robbie Souter and Michael Ogilivie were running closely together with a number changes through out the race but a coming together two laps from the end caused Michael Ogilivie to retire.

The only Mini Max driver Cameron Evans came home fourth ahead of Ross and Souter.

In the Senior Max, a first corner incident caused Ross Shearer to pit at the end of the first lap.

Quick repair to the front panel and he rejoined the race but already a lap down.

Greig Sutherland took the lead and was never headed to take the victory and maintain the championship lead.

Grant Cheesewright settled into second followed by Chloe Scott.

These two were close through out the race but the positions remained un-altered.

Craig Mays was in fourth but got piped by Liam Souter at the halfway point of the final.

A late charge by Connor Wilson gained fifth on the last lap.

Lucy Grant and Mays, who had run wide with two laps to go, followed him home.

Finally in the KZ2 UK (Gearbox), raindrops were in the air at the start of the final but not enough for the drivers to change to wet tyres.

Pole man, Alistair Smith, took the lead from Neil MacLennan, Walter Wallace, Michael Christie and Gordon Hawton.

Two laps gone, the rain got heavier making the conditions very difficult with hot slick tyres on a damp track.

All the drivers were struggling to turn in at the corners.Wallace spun and retired on lap four. Smith continued to open a gap over MacLennan.

Drivers continue to struggle with the conditions with a number of spins down the field. Neil Anderson was the only driver to benefit as he made his way through the field to third.

Conditions improved and by the end of the race the karts were back at full tilt.

Smith took the victory followed by MacLennan and Anderson. Hawton was next to see the chequered flag followed by Ian Duncan and Michael Christie.

After the race Alistair Smith summed up the opinion of all the drivers by saying ‘It was like driving on ice’.

Hamish Clark presented trophies in clubhouse after the meeting.

Next race meeting takes place on Sunday (June 22). See for more details.